Man Suffers Huge Facial Injuries After A Bear Attacked Him In His Kitchen [photos]

By 10:45 Sun, 19 Jul 2020 Comments

A man who was attacked by a bear in Colorado has been speaking out about the harrowing encounter which left him with lacerations across his face and neck.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

Dave Chernosky, 54, heard a noise coming from the downstairs of the Aspen home he and his family were staying at, early on Friday morning. 

'I was asleep and heard something in the kitchen. And I just kind of laid there thinking, "Okay, something's wrong,"' Chernosky told Good Morning America.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

'So I went to the kitchen, saw the bear there. He was already in the fridge and cupboards and stuff like that.'

'My kids were in the basement, so I wanted to make sure he stayed upstairs,' he said.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

Chernosky described the bear as being dark brown in color but close to 450lbs in weight.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

Fearing for his family's safety, the dad-of-two tried coaxing the black bear into the garage.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

However, when he hit the garage door opener to let it out, the bear panicked and ran back inside the home and began attacking him.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

'I literally thought I might be dead,' he said to ABC11. 'It felt like a brick hit me in the head.'

'As soon as we looked at each other, he just smacked me with his paw one time… and after I got out of the way and started yelling, he left,' said Chernosky.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

He was left with severe cuts on his face and neck after the attack.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

'Luckily, the bear wasn't really after me,' he said with some relief.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

Chernosky quickly called 911.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

'A bear came in here and he hit me with his paw so I'm bleeding,' he told operators.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

Chernosky ended up being taken to Aspen Valley Hospital and then transferred by ambulance to St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

He had to have stitches placed along his cheek, jaw, ear and back. Overall, he is expected to make a full recovery.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

Colorado Parks and Wildlife area manager Matt Yamashita said officers responded to the incident at about 3am and are investigating how the bear managed to get in.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

Officials with the department say they were able to find the bear and euthanize it.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

It's the second bear attack in the last couple of days.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

On Saturday morning, a woman was attacked by one near Manitou Springs, which lies about 80 miles south of Denver.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

The wildlife officers caught the bear near the scene of the attack using trained hounds.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

It was then put it down in what was described as ‘humane’ euthanasia.(Wapbaze_Copyright)

DOWNLOAD NOW

DOWNLOAD MUSIC

Related Article

Comment
Name

Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article