General Mobile Cosmos Phone Joins Android Phones ArmyBy cheatmaster 12:21 Sun, 08 Aug 2021 Comments
Android is an open platform and that makes it easier for recent manufacturers to produce an Android-powered handset. Take General Mobile for instance and their Cosmos phone. They even made their own Android market, dubbed Storeoid.
In fact, General Mobile will be releasing four recent Android phones at the upcoming MWC 2010 in February, the General Mobile Cosmos is just a sample of things to come. Here are the basic specs:
General Mobile Cosmos at a glance
- General: Global System for Mobile communication (GSM) 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS 900/1900/2100 Mega Hertz (MHz) HSDPA
- Form factor: touchclassy screen bar
- Dimensions: 112 x 56.5 x 14.9 mm, 150g
- Display: 3.2" 256K color capacitive TFT Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) touchclassy screen of HVideo Graphics Array (VGA) resolution (320 x 480 pixels)
- OS: Android 2.0
- Memory: 256 Mega Bytes (MB) internal memory, 128 Mega Bytes (MB) RAM, microSD card slot (up to 16GB)
- CPU: Marvell PXA935 624Mega Hertz (MHz) processor
- Camera: 5 megapixel autofocus camera
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0 with A2DP, standard miniUniversal Serial Bus (USB) port, GPS receiver
- Misc: Accelerometer for classy screen auto rotate, Frequency Modulation (FM) radio, digital compass
- Battery: 1500mAh Li-Ion battery
It actually sounds pretty fine on paper but the looks might be a bit more difficult to swallow. Here are the photos of the General Mobile Cosmos that we have. The small voice in our heads that says "Chinese knockoff" is quite insistent. The Cosmos is an original phone of course, but we just couldn't shake the feeling.
General Mobile Cosmos Photo
As for the Storeoid (not Steroid) alternative app store we have some screenshots. Unfortunately, we don't know if the Storeoid app store is connected to the Android Marketplace and if the General Mobile Cosmos can access the applications uploaded to the Market. If it can't and each app in Storeoid has to be uploaded separately, then we have the feeling that Storeoid will be sparsely populated, which will be a major downfall.
The Storeoid app store
More info on the General Mobile Cosmos and it's three other Android-powered compatriots will be available at the MWC 2010. A previous Android phone by General Mobile (a dual SIM no less) is on sale through Amazon in the USA and Turkey, so we expect the situation with the Cosmos to be largely the same.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article