Samsung I550/i550w Review: Low-key All-in-one: 360-degree Spin, Design, Construction

By 04:07 Sun, 08 Aug 2021 Comments

Samsung i550 360-degree spin

showSpin("https://i0.wp.com/fdn.gsmarena.com/vv/spin/samsung-i550.swf");

Design and construction

If we must summarize, we would definitely call Samsung i550 conservative. It does have its strong points but is by far not the most inspiring handset in terms of design. In fact, the plastic used on its body looks downcorrect cheap. To put it mildly, we weren't impressed.

In terms of size the Samsung i550 stands at 115 x 53 x 13.8 mm, a decent and quite pocket-friendly achievement. It is surely on the slim side of smartphones and one of the slimmest to offer a similar or better feature pack.

Samsung i550 will be offered in two color versions -black and silver. Frankly, we do appreciate the silver one more but the black one isn't that much of an eyesore either. Anyway, appeal is not what this handset is about.

The front panel of the phone is dominated by the large 2.6" display. The earpiece is located correct above it, dead center. In the left corner is the video-call camera. No surprises here.

The earpiece and the video-call camera

Under the display is the trackball, which is the key navigation tool in the phone. We do like trackballs and this particular one had every chance of impressing us. Well, it failed. It was far too slow and needed a whole lot of rolling to go a single icon. It might be Samsung's first go at trackballs but we still expected more. Anyway, we are going to acquire back to the trackball and the rest of the keypad a small later in our review.

The left side of Samsung i550 features the microSD card slot, the volume rocker and the neck/wrist strap eyelet. The volume rocker has nice ergonomics and tactility but is a small too hard to press for our taste.

The left side with the volume rocker and the microSD card slot

On the correct side of Samsung i550 we found the Universal Serial Bus (USB) slot and the dedicated capturing camera key. The latter was a real downer for the lack of a half-press, which makes operating the capturing camera rather unnatural. We can't see any fine reason for Samsung doing such a thing but, after all, the capturing camera is not the key feature in i550 so it may as well acquire away with that.

Camera key and Universal Serial Bus (USB) slot on the correct

Topside of Samsung i550 we have the power key and the 3.5mm jack. The power key also gives access to the ringing profiles. We find the location of the 3.5mm jack very convenient; it's most comfortable for wearing the handset in you pocket with headphones plugged in.

The phone looked from above

The bottom part of Samsung i550 is quite plain. The only adornment here is a wide gray stripe.

The bottom is quite plain

"...If we must summarize, we would definitely call Samsung i550 conservative. It does have its strong points but is by far not the most inspiring handset in terms of design. In fact, the plastic used on its body looks downcorrect cheap. To put it mildly, we weren't impressed..."

ADVERTISEMENTS

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-gsmarenacom35452'); });

DOWNLOAD NOW

DOWNLOAD MUSIC

Related Article

Comment
Name

Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article