EU mission in Burundi reduces staff amid violence

By 09:32 Fri, 13 Nov 2015 Comments


The EU mission in Burundi said it was temporarily

reducing staff and pulling out foreign family

members in the country due to rising risk of

violence.

EU Ambassador, Patrick Spirlet, who disclosed this

on Friday in Nairobi, however, told newsmen that

“the delegation will continue functioning normally.”

He did not say how long the mission would operate

with reduced staff.

Similarly, The US embassy sent non-essential staff

and staff family members away in May, but on Nov.

3, said they were returning.

The embassy also warned U.S citizens against non-

essential travel to Burundi.

Burundi, which emerged from an ethnically-

charged civil war in 2005, had been mired in a

political crisis that sparked a failed coup,

assassinations and other violence since April when

President Pierre Nkurunziza said he would seek a

third term.

Nkurunziza was re-elected in July for another five

years, a move the opposition described as violating

the constitution and a peace deal that ended the

nation’s 12-year civil war.

It would be recalled that Burundi’s civil war that left

300,000 dead pitted rebel groups of the Hutu

majority against the army which was at the time

led by minority Tutsis.


DOWNLOAD NOW

DOWNLOAD MUSIC





Related Article

Comment
Name




.....................

Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article