Two killed in soldiers, pipeline vandals’ clash

By 10:50 Tue, 17 Nov 2015 Comments

Seventh Avenue, Festac Town, after the clash.

Photo:Precious Igbonwelundu

… Five others injured

Two persons were on Tuesday feared killed

following a fierce gun duel between security

operatives and pipeline vandals in Lagos.

Five persons were also reportedly injured in the


The incident which occurred at Seventh Avenue,

Festac Town, sent residents of the entire Amuwo

Odofin local government area into panic.

At first, people thought the dare-devil armed

robbers who raided two banks last month and

wreaked havoc in Festac had returned.

Gripped by fear, the residents reportedly stayed

put in their homes, with many lying on the floor to

avoid stray bullets.

However, a motorcyclist, Stephen Manga and his

roommate, Joseph Zira, were not as fortunate as

stray bullet from the vandals’ gun pierced their

shanty home and penetrated their legs right inside

their room.

The Nation gathered that three soldiers also

sustained bullet wounds on their legs, while a

vandal was killed and several others escaped with

gunshot wounds.

Our correspondent learnt that a mobile policeman

was killed by some of the fleeing criminals around

Alakija, after they snatched a commercial bus and

forced the driver to whisk them away.

Manga, who claimed they were held hostage by the

vandals until soldiers arrived, said the shooting

lasted over four hours.

He said the hooded vandals were about 50 in

number, with some dressing in Army camouflage.

“We stay in that Pako near where those people

usually steal fuel beside Elcee events Centre,

Fourth Avenue, by Seventh Avenue. Our house is

built with stick and many of us live here.

“We started hearing gunshots at about 4:41am. We

did not know what was happening and we could

not come out.

“Everyone was in their own room and I was in my

room with my friend, Joseph. We were lying down

beside each other with our legs facing the road.

“The shooting continued with the vandals talking to

themselves. I don’t think the army was there at

that time.

“But around 7:00am, some army people ran to our

place and the next thing, bullet hit my leg, came

out from the other side and entered my friend’s leg

too and came out.

“We were bleeding and the army people directed

us to a hospital. Our brothers, who also live in the

place, saw the bullet. They picked it and gave it to

the soldiers. The bullet looks white and not very


“So, as they told us to go to the hospital, they also

chased everyone from the place. They helped us

live so that those people won’t kill us all.

“At first I was taken to Mercy Gate Hospital but they

refused to treat me until the army people called

and spoke with them on phone and my people also

went and brought police report from Area E


“The hospital did not treat my brother because of

money. I paid for my treatment and my brother

went to another place where he was treated and he

paid too,” said Manga.

Another resident who gave his name as Munyale

Kwada said the hoodlums initially overpowered the


Kwada said the army retreated, went for

reinforcement and brought in three armoured

tanks and engaged the bandits who were already

chanting victory songs.

“The shooting started around 4:00am. We were

looking for how to come out but no way. So, we

were trapped in the shooting by the criminals until

the army came and rescued us.

“The thieves were shooting on their own for about

two hours. When the army came, they told us to

remain inside and that no one should come out.

“The boys were many and they covered their faces.

I heard army saying they should go. Army people

were telling their colleagues that they should go

because the boys were many and three soldiers

have been injured.

“When army left, the criminals started singing.

They were singing and shooting. They covered

everywhere up to W Close on Seventh Avenue. They

blocked the entire road and were shooting


“So, army came back reinforced and with three

armoured tanks. The shooting continued till about

8:00am when the vandals ran away,” he stated.



Related Article



Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article