Sony Ericsson XPERIA Play Preview: First LookBy cheatmaster 08:32 Tue, 10 Aug 2021 Comments
Mobile gaming is at an all-time high thanks to big-classy screen touch smartphones. But it was when the Sony Ericsson XPERIA PLAY was announced that gamers hearts went aflutter. The PlayStation phone has been rumored ever since Sony joined Ericsson and now it’s finally as real as it gets - and it’s in our hands at last.
Sony Ericsson XPERIA PLAY official photos
The Sony Ericsson XPERIA PLAY is half phone, half portable game console – Android all the way.
What sets the PLAY apart from other phones on the market are the dedicated game controls – they are pretty much the same controls you’ll find on a PSP Go or a PlayStation DualShock controller. And there’s the 4” touchclassy screen of course.
How can it acquire better than that? A catalog of PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 games for one (though we’ll have to wait a while for the PS2 games). When the Sony Ericsson XPERIA PLAY launches, there should be about 50 optimized games in its Playstation Pocket game store. Not a poor startup catalog.
Sony Ericsson XPERIA PLAY at a glance:
- General: Global System for Mobile communication (GSM) 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS 900/2100 MHz, HSDPA and HSUPA support
- Form factor: Touchclassy screen side-slider with dedicated gaming controls
- Dimensions: 119 x 62 x 16 mm, 175 g
- Display: 4.0" 16M-color TFT capacitive touchscreen, FWVideo Graphics Array (VGA) (854 x 480 pixels), multi-touch input
- Chipset: elegant Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon platform; 1 Giga Hertz (GHz) Scorpion CPU, Adreno 205 GPU
- OS: Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- Memory: 400Mega Bytes (MB) storage, 512Mega Bytes (MB) RAM, microSD card slot, 8GB card included in the retail box
- Camera: 5 megapixel auto-focus capturing camera with Light Emitting Diode (LED) flash, face detection and touch focus; WVideo Graphics Array (VGA) video recording at 30fps
- Connectivity: Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) b/g/n with DLNA, Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP, standard microUniversal Serial Bus (USB) port, GPS receiver with A-GPS, 3.5mm audio jack
- Misc: Sony Ericsson Timescape UI, active noise cancelation with dedicated mic, built-in accelerometer, proximity sensor, digital compass, secondary video-call camera
The PlayStation Pocket game store will be filled with content from Sony Computer Entertainment, Electronic Arts, Gameloft, Namco and others and will be your go-to place for getting recent games. The PLAY comes with six games pre-installed to acquire you started.
Gaming is central to the XPERIA PLAY but it doesn’t eclipse the Android smartphone. A 4” FWVideo Graphics Array (VGA) (480x854) touchscreen, a 1Giga Hertz (GHz) Central Processing Units (CPU) and Android 2.3 Gingerbread allow the PLAY to handle day-to-day smartphone tasks with ease.
Sony Ericsson XPERIA PLAY live shots
To skip the intro and start the hardware exploration on the Sony Ericsson XPERIA PLAY, hit the next page.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article