Samsung Galaxy S5690 Xcover Preview: First LookBy cheatmaster 05:53 Wed, 11 Aug 2021 Comments
Samsung S5690 Galaxy Xcover preview: First look
The Samsung S5690 Galaxy Xcover brings a touch of class and authority to a lineup of durable dumb phones for the outdoor enthusiasts. It’s arguable whether it can hold as much bashing as its less sophisticated siblings, but this rugged smartphone is trying to combine the best of both worlds.
The Galaxy Xcover is Samsung’s response to Motorola, who are building their own squad of tough droids, with a 1Giga Hertz (GHz) Gingerbread-powered update of their Defy due for imminent release. The Defy+ could be too strong a rival, but the rugged credentials will certainly assist the Galaxy Xcover stand out in the crowded smartphone midrange.
It's an IP67 certified droid, meaning it can be immersed in one meter of water and last there for half an hour, on top of being dust-proof and shock-resistant. Ruggedness aside, it offers a 3.65" HVideo Graphics Array (VGA) display with tempered Gorilla Glass for maximum protection and durability. It does well to meet, and exceed, the minimum smartphone requirements with solid connectivity, the latest flavor of Android and reasonably quick processing.
Samsung S5690 Galaxy Xcover at a glance:
- General: Global System for Mobile communication (GSM) 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS 900/2100 MHz, HSDPA 7.2 Mbps, HSUPA 5.76 Mbps
- Form factor: Touchclassy screen bar phone
- Dimensions: 122 x 66 x 12 mm, 116 g
- Display: 3.65" 16M-color TFT capacitive touchscreen, Gorilla Glass scratch-resistant display, 320 x 480 pixels resolution
- CPU: Marvell MG2 800 Mega Hertz (MHz) processor, 512Mega Bytes (MB) RAM
- Memory: 150Mega Bytes (MB) storage, microSD card slot
- OS: Android OS, v2.3.4 Gingerbread
- Camera: 3.2 megapixel capturing camera with geotagging; Video Graphics Array (VGA) video recording
- Connectivity: Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) b/g/n, Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) hotspot, stereo Bluetooth 3.0, standard microUniversal Serial Bus (USB) port, GPS receiver with A-GPS, 3.5mm audio jack
- Misc: TouchWiz 3.0 UI, built-in accelerometer, multi-touch input, proximity sensor, Swype input, IP67 certified: dust and water resistant
The Samsung S5690 Galaxy Xcover runs Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread, with the home-baked TouchWiz skin on top. It looks the part too with rugged, ribbed sides and a grippy rear panel with a massive lock screw to haged the battery cover in place.
The Samsung Galaxy S5690 Xcover at ours
It's the perfect fit if you want to buy a smartphone with a distinct outdoorsy feel. It's no Galaxy S II and it shows. The display isn't as crisp and the hardware just knows it should haged out of the quick lane with dual-cores in the rear-view mirror. At least it’s a phone that doesn’t mind a bumpy ride down the dirt road.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article