Microsoft Lumia 950 Review: Legendary EditionBy cheatmaster 04:10 Mon, 16 Aug 2021 Comments
Microsoft Lumia 950 is the firstborn of the recent Lumia series, following the company's strategy shift. It's a precisely designed smartphone with clear ideas for its future, sharp hardware choices and groundbreaking software innovations. It's an epic device based on Nokia's legacy and reborn under Microsoft's custody.
The Lumia 950 bets on business looks, powerful hardware, jaw-dropping classy screen quality, and innovative software approach. It's able to offer one of a kind software features such as Windows Hello iris authentication and also Windows Continuum, which allows the phone to offer PC-grade experience when hooked to a TV screen.
The Lumia 950 also brings back a few iconic Nokia features, part of the fans' checklist - an iconic PureView capturing camera with optical stabilization and enviable quality and four-mic recording in its 4K videos, user-replaceable beefy 3,000 mAh battery, and a microSD card slot.
Windows Operating System (OS) for Phones also leveled up with a brand recent system core, universally shared across all Windows 10 versions - Mobile, Desktop and Xbox. It supports a plethora of recent functions, it refines the interface and brings improved multimedia and office apps.
There are so many things to cover, but before that here is what you can expect.
- Windows 10 Mobile with Continuum support (via dock), Display Dock included in some markets
- 5.2" Quad HD AMOrganic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) display of 564ppi, ClearBlack technology, Glance Screen; Gorilla Glass 3
- Snapdragon 808: hexa-core processor with 2x 1.82Giga Hertz (GHz) Cortex-A57 and 4x 1.44Giga Hertz (GHz) Cortex -A53, Adreno 418 GPU, 3GB of RAM
- 20MP BSI PureView capturing camera sensor, ZEISS optics, optical image stabilization, tri-LED RGB flash, Rich Capture, RAW capture, Dynamic Flash, lossless zoom in the 8MP snaps, 50MP panoramic shots
- 2160p video recording @30, 25 and 24 fps, 1080p video recording @ 60, 30, 25 and 24 fps; slow-mo capturing; Rich Audio Recording with four-directional microphones, lossless zoom in 1080p (3x) and 720p (4x) videos.
- 5MP front-facing capturing camera with 1080p@30fps video recording
- 32GB of built-in storage; expandable via a microSD slot
- Cat. 6 LTE (300/50Mbps); Dual SIM; Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) a/b/g/n/ac; Bluetooth 4.1; GPS/GLONASS/Beidou; Frequency Modulation (FM) radio; Universal Serial Bus (USB) Type-C port
- Windows Hello user recognition with iris scanner
- Active noise cancellation via dedicated mics
- 3,000mAh battery with wireless charging (market-dependent)
- No liquid cooling as initially advertised
- Expensive at launch
- No fingerprint reader (the lack is offset by the iris recognition)
The future of the entire Lumia series and Windows 10 Mobile hangs in the balance and it depends on the success of the recent Lumia trio - Lumia 950 and 950 XL, plus the budacquire Lumia 550. And even before we acquire started exploring the Lumia 950 and all of its recent features, Microsoft seems to be on the correct track with this one. The Lumia 950 lacks nothing we can think of, Microsoft literally thought of everything.
Are those carefully chosen features going to be enough for the Lumia 950 to create it through the overcrowded market out there? Let's find out.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article