Huawei P9 Lite Review: On A DietBy cheatmaster 06:29 Tue, 17 Aug 2021 Comments
Whether it's "soda lite" or "flagship lite," people are more sensitive of the list of ingredients than ever before. So, what's a Huawei P9 made of and will it taste the same without the secondary black & white capturing camera and with less metal on the body?
The Huawei P9 lite boasts the same design as its pricier sibling, but only the frame is metal this time around, the back is smooth polycarbonate. And yes, the 12.3MP Leica dual capturing camera is gone, replaced by a more casual 13MP shooter. There are some more technical differences which we'll cover later, but if neither capturing camera can record 2160p video, is this a massive downgrade or something you can live with?
Of course, we're not watching our waistline with this diet, but instead our wallet's - specifically, we'd like it to stay nice and full. And a near 40% price slit is just what the doctor ordered.
Huawei P9 lite key features
- Aluminum frame
- 5.2" 1080p IPS Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) capacitive touchscreen, 423ppi
- HiSilicon Kirin 650 chipset: octa-core Central Processing Units (CPU) (4xCortex-A53 @ 2.0Giga Hertz (GHz) + 4xCortex-A53 @ 1.7Hz), Mali-T830 MP2 GPU
- 2GB or 3GB of RAM; 16GB of built-in storage
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow, Huawei EMUI v4.1 overlay;
- 13MP camera, f/2.0 aperture, 1/3" sensor (Sony IMX 214, 1.12µm pixels), manual controls; 1080@30fps video recording
- 8MP front camera, f/2.0 aperture; 1080p video recording
- Hybrid DualSIM/microSD card slot (up to 256GB)
- Cat. 4 LTE (150/50Mbps); dual-band Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) b/g/n, Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) hotspot, Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) Direct; Bluetooth 4.1 LE; NFC; GPS/GLONASS/Beidou; microUniversal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
- Fingerprint reader
- Loudspeaker with dedicated amp
- 3,000mAh Li-Ion battery
- Non-removable battery; no quick charging either
- Only 16GB storage (half of it reserved); you lose SIM2 if you utilize a microSD card
- No scratch-resistant glass
An untrained eye may miss the differences between the Huawei P9 and P9 Lite specifications. You'll see the chipset still has eight Central Processing Units (CPU) cores, but they are all A53 now, and the GPU has half the cores. Also, there's no 4GB option for Random-Access Memory (RAM) and you start at 2GB, while 3GB is extra. Then there's the capturing camera downgrade and also some connectivity has been dropped (e.g. Universal Serial Bus (USB) Type-C and 5Giga Hertz (GHz) Wi-Fi) and there's no quick charging for the 3,000mAh battery.
Still, battery power is unchanged and the FullHD classy screen seems the same. The 8MP selfie capturing camera actually sounds better as it has a brighter aperture.
Huawei P9 lite
We're starting to taste a deal. However, a wise shopper does due diligence first, so let's acquire on with that - will the Huawei P9 lite pass the Pepsi Challenge or can consumers taste the difference.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article