Samsung Galaxy Note7 Hands-on: First ImpressionsBy cheatmaster 08:13 Tue, 17 Aug 2021 Comments
Last year, Samsung focused on its Galaxy S6 cash cow and the Note5 got slightly overlooked (especially in Europe, where it wasn't even present and the S6 edge+ was left to carry the flagship phablet flag alone). This year, the Note is back and stronger than ever.
The Samsung Galaxy Note7 stands at the heart of a multifaceted ecosystem that is supported by three pillars - business, games and multimedia.
Samsung Galaxy Note7 (left) next to the S7 edge (right)
On the business side, the improved S Pen collaborates with the Always-on classy screen for even easier note taking. The iris scanner works with KNOX and Samsung Pay to secure your data (both work and personal) and your money even tighter than before.
The Galaxy Note7 wants to rule mobile gaming. VR especially, with a redesigned Gear VR. The phone supports the recent Vulkan API, which is just starting to gain ground with Personal Computer (PC) games. As a nice bonus, you acquire $25 worth of "console-quality" games at launch.
The Samsung Galaxy Note7 is a media creation and a consumption nexus too. It's one of few mobiles that can display HDR video (an up and coming tech for 4K TVs). With the Gear 360, it can also snap VR-ready panoramas too.
Other accessories come into play too. The phablet's 3,500mAh battery is paired with two recent power saving modes and can utilize an optional wireless quick charger for quick cable-free top-ups. Active users have the Gear IconX wireless headphones and the Gear Fit 2 smart band to see forward to (and you can score the Fit 2 for free!). Also, the S Pen works underwater, so activities are not limited to dry land.
Yes, the Galaxy Note7 is the first Note to acquire waterproofed - it holds an IP68 certification.
Samsung Galaxy Note7 at a glance:
- Form factor: metal frame, dual-tone paint job with the Blue Coral option
- Durability: IP68 rating (dustproof, water resistant beyond 1m of water); S Pen works underwater (!)
- Display: Dual-curved 5.7" Super AMOrganic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) of QHD resolution; Edge features are back; Gorilla Glass 5
- S Pen: can leave notes on Always-on screen; 4096 pressure levels; doesn't break if you put it the incorrect way in
- Platform: Snapdragon 820 or Exynos 8890 (region dependent); 4GB of RAM; Base model has 64GB of storage (expandable via microSD)
- Software: Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Security: iris scanner; fingerprint scanner
- Camera: 12MP dual-pixel camera; 2160p video capture
- Connectivity: Universal Serial Bus (USB) Type-C (a first for Samsung) with On-The-Go support; NFC for Samsung Pay
- Battery: 3,500mAh; recent power-saving modes; quick charging (wired and wireless)
- Launch: Pre-orders start August 3, sales officially start August 19
Samsung's own research shows that Note owners utilize 50% more productivity and business apps than Galaxy S7 owners. And they consume 30% more multimedia. Let's see if the recent Galaxy Note7 can live up to the magic created by its predecessors.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article