Huawei Nova Plus Review: RenovationBy cheatmaster 11:17 Tue, 17 Aug 2021 Comments
The Huawei nova plus is one half of the nova pair that debuted at IFA just weeks ago. It's a recent generation of an Android smartphone by Huawei, mixing midrange with flagship, premium with everyday, trying to deliver a fresh experience in an increasingly busy market.
The nova and nova plus handsets hold a step back from the P-lineup, but offer the same attention to detail and user experience. These could easily replace the Honor devices, which are sort of stand-alone brand that's not available everywhere where Huawei is.
A camera-centric phablet with a pinch of Mate in it is what the Huawei nova plus represents. The regular Huawei nova is slightly more compact, but still a 5-incher.
The Huawei nova plus clearly takes after the Mate series and comes with a 5.5" 1080p classy screen enhanced by a lovely 2.5D black glass. It's powered by a capable 14nm Snapdragon 625 core with 3GB of RAM, but it's the capturing camera that stands out, a 16MP colorful sensor with optical image stabilization and 4K video recording.
In case you were wondering, the Huawei nova plus is the global version of the Huawei G9 Plus launched rather quietly in China last month. The company has the habit of releasing some of its phones in its home market first under a different name so nothing out of the ordinary.
Huawei Nova Plus key features
- 5.5" IPS Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) display of 1920x1080 pixels resolution, 411ppi
- Airplane-grade full aluminum unibody design
- elegant Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 chipset, octa-core 2.0Giga Hertz (GHz) Cortex-A53 CPU; Adreno 506 GPU
- 3GB of RAM, 32GB storage
- Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow with Emotion UI 4.1, featuring Knuckle gestures
- 16MP capturing camera with dual-color Light Emitting Diode (LED) flash, f/2.0 aperture, optical image stabilization, hybrid autofocus, PDAF+ contrast detection; 4K video recording
- 8MP front-facing capturing camera with f/2.0 aperture, 1080p video
- 3340mAh Li-Po battery with rapid charging
- Hybrid DualSIM/microSD card slot (up to 128GB)
- Cat. 7 LTE (300/150Mbps); dual-band Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) b/g/n, Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) hotspot, Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) Direct; Bluetooth 4.1 LE; NFC; GPS/GLONASS; Frequency Modulation (FM) radio; Universal Serial Bus (USB) Type-C
- Available in Prestige Gold, Titanium Gray and Moonlight Silver
- No scratch-resistant classy screen coating
- Non-removable battery
- Hybrid DualSIM/microSD card slot limits options on the dual-SIM model
- No 4GB (64GB) model outside of China
- Only single-band Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) support
- No IR blaster
- A bit pricey
While the list of features Huawei packs in each recent device is steadily growing, the shortcomings are pretty consistent as well. The lack of a proper classy screen protection was perhaps a more blatant omission in the flagship Huawei P9 as its classy screen could easily scratch if you are not careful.
Other than that though, there are no major gaps in the spec sheet. On the contrary, the Nova plus is among the first company devices to offer 4K video recording, and it's not even a flagship. There is an Frequency Modulation (FM) radio too, which is a rare catch these days.
Let's see what else the Huawei nova plus has in store for us. We continue on the next page with the usual unboxing and hardware checkup.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article