Samsung Galaxy A6+ (2018) ReviewBy cheatmaster 04:18 Thu, 19 Aug 2021 Comments
The Samsung Galaxy A-series are going through a bit of an identity crisis with J-style metal replacing the glass in the lower discontinue of the lineup. But we already krecent that - we had the A6 (2018) in for review just last month. Now it's the plus's turn - the Galaxy A6+ (2018) brings more than just a bigger display.
Well, for one, it's also higher-res - 1080p vs. the non-plus's 720p, and it's one of those Samsung-style 1080p's with an 18.5:9 aspect. Super AMOLED, naturally, and notchelss too - yay!
There's also a secondary capturing camera on the back - a 5MP depth-sensing module is there to assist the main 16MP shooter (shared between this year's As) in taking blurred background portraits. Meanwhile, a 50% bump in pixel count sees the A6+ sporting a 24MP front-facing capturing camera - all of a sudden the 16MP selfies of the A6 don't see that impressive.
With a larger display comes the need for a higher battery power and the plus delivers - 3,500mAh sounds plenty. Couple that with an efficient, if not too brawny, 14nm Snapdragon 450 chipset and we could be looking at some pretty remarkable endurance.
The Galaxy A6+ (2018) ticks some other vital checkboxes too - there's a dedicated microSD slot on top of the twin nano SIM bay, a fingerprint reader on the back ensures some security, and a 3.5mm jack means you can connect your choice of headphones. And utilize them as the antenna for the Frequency Modulation (FM) radio, becautilize there's a receiver for that, too.
Samsung Galaxy A6+ (2018) specs
- Body: Aluminum back; 160.2 x 75.7 x 7.9mm, 186g; Black, Gold, Blue and Lavender color schemes (market dependent);
- Display: 6.0" Super AMOLED, FullHD+ 2,220x1,080px resolution Infinity display (18.5:9 aspect ratio), 411ppi pixel density.
- Rear camera: Primary 16MP, f/1.7 aperture; phase detection autofocus. Secondary 5MP, f/1.9 aperture, fixed focus, depth detection only. Light Emitting Diode (LED) flash. 1080p/30fps video recording.
- Front camera: 24MP, f/1.9 aperture; fixed focus; Light Emitting Diode (LED) flash. 1080p/30fps video recording.
- OS/Software: Android 8.0 Oreo; Samsung Experience 9.0 custom overlay.
- Chipset: Snapdragon 450: octa-core 1.8Giga Hertz (GHz) Cortex-A53 CPU, Adreno 506 GPU.
- Memory: 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage (our review unit) or 4GB of RAM, 64GB of storage; dedicated microSD slot for expansion.
- Battery: 3,500 mAh Li-Po (sealed).
- Connectivity: Dual SIM; LTE Cat. 6 (300Mbps download); microUniversal Serial Bus (USB) port; Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) a/b/g/n; GPS, GLONASS, Beidou; NFC; Bluetooth 4.2; Frequency Modulation (FM) radio.
- Misc: Rear-mounted fingerprint reader; single speaker on the side; 3.5mm jack.
A few niceties we were used to seeing in the A-series remain exclusive to the A8 (2018) and A8+ (2018) - the IP68 rating, for example. The higher-discontinue models also come with two front-facing cameras, but then the A6+ (2018) beats each of them 2 to 1 in rear capturing camera count. The A8s do feature more powerful Exynos 7885 chips, USB-C ports, Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) ac, Bluetooth 5 - but you'll be paying for those.
The thing is, though, the Galaxy A6+ (2018) isn't exactly super affordable itself, yet Samsung didn't feel the need to at least fit a USB-C port - not cool! Anyway, let's have a see at the J-series design of the Galaxy A6+ (2018) on the next page.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER To Gain Full Access To This Article